OVCSA Home UIC Home default

Dining Services

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions:

Q: Which dining option is right for me?
A: A variety of options is available in order to best serve the campus community. To figure out the right plan for you, start by thinking about your eating habits. Are you a "jetsetter" who grabs a bagel in the morning and a salad for dinner? Or do you need three square meals a day to function properly? We have options perfect for either type of eater, and for everyone in between.

Q: Can I take food out of dining areas?
A: Yes, except for dining areas are located in the 605 Commons (SCE) and JST Cafeé (JST).

Q: What additional dining options are available?
A: UIC Dining Services offers options including Chick-fil-A, Panda Express, Dunkin' Donuts, Subway, Freshii, and more! For more dining options, see locations and hours tab.

[ Top ]

Dining Locations and Options Questions:

Q: Where can I eat on campus? And when?
A: For a complete list of campus dining locations and hours, please see the Locations tab.

Q: If I bring my lunch or buy from one of the other dining options, where can I sit to eat my meal?
A: There are many seating options comprised of lounges and tables available throughout the Student Centers and other adjacent facilities across campus.

Q: What can you do to accommodate my special dietary needs?
A: We want you to eat well on campus. American, Italian, Tex-Mex, Hallal, Kosher, vegetarian and vegan are just some of the great options available. Let us know what you need and we will work toward a solution. You can find information for a variety of special diets, as well as nutrition and health information, online at www.dineoncampus.com/uic/balancedU. You can also contact dining@uic.edu for additional information.

[ Top ]

Meal Plan Questions:

Q: What is a meal plan?
A: A "meal plan" is a UIC dining package which allows you to eat a certain number of days each week or a number of meals. See the Meal Plan tab for details.

Q: How much are meal plans?
A: See the Meal Plan tab for details.

Q: Can I change my meal plan?
A: Students that reside in Residence Halls that do not have a required Meal Plan or off-campus may cancel their meal plan selection during the first two (2) weeks of the Fall semester and during the first two (2) weeks of Spring semester. After these periods have ended, no further cancellations may be made.

Students that reside on campus can add, terminate, or modify their Meal Plan by visiting the Campus Housing office. Students that reside off campus can make change by completing a Meal Plan change form available at the ID Center in SSB (Student Services Building) only.

Q: Do I have to buy a meal plan?
A: Students living in traditional residence halls (CMS, CMN, CTY, CMW, JST) are required to purchase a meal plan. Any UIC student, faculty or staff member can purchase a meal plan if they would like. Or you may purchase your meal with Flames Fare, Dragon Dollar$, credit card, or cash.

Q: I don't live in the campus residence halls. Can I still purchase a meal plan?
A: Meal plans are available to all UIC students, faculty, and staff.

Q: How do I access my meal plan?
A: The dining plan option you choose is linked directly to your i-card.

Q: How much does each meal cost if I am not using a meal plan for payment?
A: Unlike the meal plan, the cost to purchase a meal provides for a one-time individual access to the dining area. Meals can be purchased by using cash, Dragon Dollar$, or credit/debit.
Meal costs are:
Breakfast - $5.60
Lunch - $8.55
Late Night/Weekend Brunch - $7.95
Dinner - $9.70
(Applicable sales tax will be charged.)

Q: Can I use my Meal Plan to feed others?
A: No, but you can always use Flames Fare, Dragon Dollar$, cash, or credit and debit cards to purchase a meal for a guest.

Q: How do I buy a meal plan?
A: It’s easy. If you live in one of the residence halls, simply select a dining plan when you sign your Housing Contract. Off-campus students may sign up for a Traditional Meal Plan only at the ID Center located in the Student Services Building.

[ Top ]

Flames Fare Questions:

Q: What is Flames Fare?
A: Flames Fare is a dining bonus purchasing system loaded to your i-card that can be used a specific dining locations only. Flames Fare is sold to students, faculty, and staff in packages with bonus Flames Fare automatically loaded to your i-card. Flames Fare Transactions are always sales tax free. Refunds are not available for unused Flames Fare dollars. Flames Fare balances carry over from fall to spring semester and from spring semester to summer sessions only. Flames Fare can be used at: Behavioral Sciences Building (BSB): Au Bon Pain, Daley Library, (LIB): The Daley Grind, James Stukel Towers (JST): JST Café, Library of Health Sciences (LHS): Leaf and Bean Café, Outpatient Care Center (OCC): Au Bon Pain, Student Center East (SCE): Chick-fil-A, Panda Express, 605 Commons, and Student Center West (SCW): Marketplace.

[ Top ]

Dragon Dollar$ Questions:

Q: Can I buy food with Dragon Dollar$?
A: Yes. Dragon Dollar$ are accepted at all Campus Dining locations (except Wood Street Station, Au Bon Pain at the Outpatient Care Center) and the retail fast food locations (e.g. Argo Tea, Subway, etc.)

Q: How can I purchase Dragon Dollar$?
A: Dragon Dollar$ can be added to your i-card by depositing funds similar to a banking account at the ID Center located in the Student Services Building or online at www.dragoncenter.uic.edu with a credit card. Please see the Dragon Dollar$ website for details.

Q: What happens if I run out of Dragon Dollar$?
A: You may add Dragon Dollar$ at any time. See the Dragon Dollar$ website for details.

[ Top ]

I-card Questions:

Q: What should I do if I lose my i-card?
A: If you lose your i-card, report it immediately to the ID Center office at (312) 413-5940 or idcenter@uic.edu. Cards reported lost or stolen are immediately invalidated for your protection. A replacement i-card can be obtained in either of the ID Center offices (1790 Student Services Building or 242 UIC Student Center West). If you lose your i-card, report it immediately to the ID Center office at (312) 413-5940. Cards reported lost or stolen are immediately invalidated for your protection. A replacement i-card can be obtained in either of the ID Center offices (1790 Student Services Building or 242 UIC Student Center West).

[ Top ]

Comment and Feedback Questions:

Q: Who can I contact if I have comments?
A: You may share your comments by sending an email to dining@uic.edu.

Q: How can I give feedback on my campus dining experience?
A: We want to hear from you. Provide us with feedback on your campus dining experiences by sending an e-mail to dining@uic.edu.

[ Top ]

Copyright © 2018 The Board of Trustees of the University of Illinois | Privacy Statement